On Friday, March 19th, hundreds of activists joined the Defund Line 3 Campaign Rally.
During the rally we heard from Indigenous frontline leaders who are taking bold direct action to stop construction, youth organizers who are fighting the pipeline and Stop the Money Pipeline organizers who shared the next steps in the #DefundLine3 campaign.
Watch the rally below, and check out the slideshow or the follow along document.
There were 7 actions people were asked to take during the rally. They were:
- Donate to the Frontlines
We are raising money for the frontlines. Every cent we raise will go directly to the Indigenous-led frontline resistance camp, Giniw Collective, and the Center for Protest Law’s legal defense of Water Protectors arrested for taking direct action to stop construction. We’ve set a goal of raising $20,000 – can you help us hit our goal by making a donation?
- Join the Frontlines in Minnesota
Frontline leaders have made the call for people to go to Minnesota and take a stand against this toxic, racist pipeline. Minnesota organizers from Resist Line 3 are hosting regular Orientation Calls. If you are considering going to Minnesota to take direct action, please join one of these orientation calls to make sure you are able to show up in a good way. You can sign up for a call here.
- Follow the Frontlines
Follow groups taking direct action to stop construction and share their actions. Social media accounts to follow here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here.
- Send #DefundLine3 Postcards to CEOs
Right now, more than 12,000 #DefundLine3 postcards are making their way to the homes of bank executives. We’ve only got 3,000 postcards left — sign up here to get some postcards sent to you so you can send them on to bank CEOs!
- Email Canadian bank CEOs
The largest funders of Enbridge are the Canadian banks — TD, Royal Bank of Canada, Scotiabank and the Bank of Montreal — take 30 seconds to send them an email, demanding that they #DefundLine3.
- Join the Defund Line 3 Slack
We share regular updates and calls-to-action on the #DefundLine3 Slack — join us there by clicking here! (Note: this link is only valid for 24 hours!)
- Share this rally recording with your network
Take a few minutes and spread the word about the fight against Line 3 by sharing this page with your friends and family. Share it on Facebook, tweet about it or send your network a short email about the rally.
- Tara Houska (Couchiching First Nation Anishinaabe) is a tribal attorney, founder of Giniw Collective, and a former advisor on Native American affairs to Bernie Sanders. She spent six months on the frontlines fighting the Dakota Access Pipeline, and is currently engaged in the movement to defund fossil fuels and a years-long struggle against Enbridge’s Line 3 pipeline. She is a co-founder of Not Your Mascots, a group committed to positive representation of Native peoples.
- Charlene Aleck just completed her third term as elected council of Tsleil-Waututh Nation (TWN), a First Nations government in the Canadian province of British Columbia. She is working on the TWN Sacred Trust Initiative team, whose mandate is to oppose the Trans Mountain Expansion Project pipeline. She is a mother of four and a grandmother.
- Abby Hornberger is a senior at the University of Minnesota studying environmental science and sustainability. After moving to Minneapolis from Chicago, she was exposed to corporate investments in fossil fuel infrastructure in Minnesota. Through frontline resistance, giving public testimony and urban bank actions, she has been involved in pipeline resistance for 2 1/2 years.